The Laceworks site is located on Derby Road in Barnstaple, bordered by Parkview Road to the north east and Princess Street to the south west.
The site was once a lace making factory, which was opened in 1825. The Laceworks was one of Barnstaple’s biggest employers, which resulted in it having a great and lasting impact on the towns formation as houses were built in the surrounding area to house its many employees.
The final owner of the factory, before in was closed in 2013, was Heathcoat’s of Tiverton and the site has been unused since. The site was acquired by Homes England in 2017 and several building have been demolished in preparation for redevelopment.
The plan is to rejuvenate the Laceworks factory buildings and create 65 new apartments, townhouses and affordable homes for local people.
The plans are for the Grade II listed factory buildings and linked Edwardian block, to be sympathetically redeveloped into 22 smart 1, 2 and 3 bed apartments.
The west and east wings of the horseshoe-shaped factory building are planned to be developed into eight townhouses ranging from 2 to 4 bed dwellings, providing quality contemporary houses which remain in keeping with the heritage of the site.
Some of the buildings at the back of the factory will be demolished to allow new-build family homes and in addition 29 affordable homes, including a variety of 1, 2, 3 and 4 bed houses with gardens and parking, as well as one-bed maisonettes.
The 29 affordable properties are intended to be sold to LiveWest to allow people from the local community to live in this prime town location, with some houses available for social rent or shared ownership.
Beyond the dwellings the site will also feature landscaped courtyards, public open spaces, car parking, and access for pedestrians and cyclists providing a link between the park, primary school and the town centre.
Foot Anstey LLP
X Consulting Engineers