This waterside property is found on the bend of the River Yealm as it meets Newton Creek. The site was undeveloped until a small building and quay was built in the mid 20th century. In 1947 the existing buildings were built, originally as a Scout facility, but then extended and converted to a marine paint research and testing laboratory. In 2011 the occupiers relocated to more modern premises and the buildings have stood empty since, and are now in a dilapidated state. The existing construction is made up of two 2-storey detached buildings extending to about 150sqm, which are set below the road level. There is also a garage with car parking at road level and a level quay on the southern part of the site with access to the water via a slipway.
The plan is to demolish the existing dilapidated buildings and build two new detached four-storey, 4-bed family homes.
The proposed homes have been meticulously designed to ensure that they are in keeping with their surroundings by maintaining the existing building line against the hillside, appearing as single story buildings from Yealm Road, making it compatible with the neighbouring plots. The dwellings are designed to settle on the natural incline of the site.
The homes will be accessed from Yealm Road. The proposed floor layouts are modern with open plan kitchen, living and dining spaces. At quay level there is a basement floor for boats and general storage. Each property will meet street level with two external parking spaces and a two-car garage. The properties are accessed from street level leading into a lobby and lounge area which looks over the river and adjacent planted terraces.
James Brent Pension Scheme
X Consulting Engineers
Foot Anstey LLP